Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Snap!!

I am officially non cool. My 8 year old has used this phrase.... OH SNAP!! Now I thought I was pretty up on trendy words, but this one caught me by surprise. I did not quite know what it meant. I asked her does that mean you need to hurry. She looked at me as if I was clueless... which I was. "No, Mom" I then said did you say that because you did not mean to do something...."No Mom". I guess it means.. oops I forgot and need to go do it, "sometimes" Alta said. I asked Max if he had heard it before. Sure honey. He tells me that Raven one of the Cheetah girls says this. He is way cooler than I.


This reminds me of my father. Now my father is a good man, but loves to mess with people...... when I was a teenager, I remember my dad snapping his fingers and saying Damn with a shake of the head, frequently. Usually to me or one of the kids when we were wanting to do something or want something, and he did not feel we should go or have it. Now the snap was not immediate, it was after we started whining and complaining that we were not going to get what we wanted. Now being the good little girl (non swearing teenager) I mimicked the snap, with out the Damn. My brother David and I would do this on any occasion that would allow it, to each other. This would constitute usually me wanting something from David, him not giving it to me, snapping his fingers at me, ending with me punching his arm and us laughing. So as one can see, this phrase... Snap really can have different meanings, Right?!


Now after that memory lane... I am going to go back to my little world where I get to be the parent and snap at my children. But still not be cool.

5 comments:

Susan said...

SNAP? sounds like a replacement for DAMN if you ask me. but you didn't but you get my comment anyway.

Amy Franklin said...

My kids have used that word too, and I am still not sure what it means. I guess it's ok to say--I was going to look it up on the internet but never did. Maybe I'm scared of what I'll find!

Katrina said...

Good one! Not one I have heard yet either, but then again, my boys just don't watch Cheetah Girls! Go figure. Ask me something about SpongeBob or Pokemon and I've got you covered! ;)

Victoria said...

Let me just let you know there are other uses too

Oh Snap can mean that something is wicked sweet too! It can replace sweet - at least in my world.

Enjoy the slang lingo

Mike and Mary Lee said...

just snapping your fingers, means you missed something, or forgot something. Sweet, very interesting.