Friday, July 13, 2007

RDH making a difference?

Something that I have done.....
In one of the many offices I work, I instigated the implementation of a new oral cancer screen called vizilite. It is a mouth rinse & light that illuminates abnormal tissues in the mouth. If an area is suspicious and illuminating with no known trauma, there is then a T- blue test that is a dye. When done it will dye any cancer or precancerous tissue blue, if it isn't cancerous nothing will turn blue. The dentist was skeptical, but I researched it and presented it to him. He already did the visual soft tissue screen and I thought this would be a great adjunct to what we were already doing. He finally agreed and we are now doing it in the office.
I had a patient Monday who opted to have the additional test done. The test caused an ulcer to illuminate on the Right lateral boarder of the tongue, we then did a T- blue test and it stayed blue, meaning the ulcer was of some stage of cancer. David yes we referred to an Oral Surgeon. But in this patients life all of a sudden she had cancer. She had no history of tobacco use.
It was interesting to be a part of this process. I felt very involved in this persons life and the changes that are happening. I am hopeful that this test will have allowed us to catch the cancer early, before too much damage has occurred. I will be interested to see what the pathologist will find it to be. I saw worry cross the face of the patient. I wanted to say everything will be alright, but I couldn't, because I did not know, though I did try to comfort her. I am glad we are doing this new test. I feel good that I pushed it into our office and I hope it will help save lives or at least improve quality of lives. I guess I feel that in this small little area I work in, I hope I am making a difference.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

keep us posted, if you can. I would be interested to see how well this new tests pans out. Is it accurate? or just a good predictor? Just curious. Good Job DEEEBs!

Mike and Mary Lee said...

I haven't had any experience with the test, except to read articles about the accuracy of such a test. I would be very tactiful in telling a person they have cancer, but tell them that they have a suspicious area. There is such a cancer phobia out there, that you may really cause alot of undue stress, that proves to be negative. I will be very interested in the follow up report. The pictures are cute-We love the Blog experience.

Susan said...

how wise you are and how good of you to get this test started. sure, cancer is a scary thing and I am the biggest crepe hanger you will find (could that have been because I spent 10 years as a hospice volunteer?) but I would rather have the stress and worry early than death early.

good for you!