Monday, November 10, 2008

Fleas!!!

Our cute Shih Tuz dog Lexi has fleas. Does anyone have a full proof way of getting rid of them?? I need help? Should I just get a collar, should I wash her with a special soap? What has helped anyone out there in the blogging world? What do I have to do to my home? I haven't noticed any around, just on her. She has a skin condition that makes her itch, but Saturday, Max saw a flea on her, so I don't know how long she has had them. My girls (or I ) don't want to play with her and her little doggie heart is breaking. What should I do to get rid of these nasty pests? This pic is before getting fleas.... they would sleep with each other all the time. Isn't this cute.
Now poor little Lexi is all alone.... actually she isn't allowed on any furniture or blankets or pillow except her own doggie pillow.
Having Lexi for 2 1/2 years and this is the first flea problem, isn't too too bad.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I suggest preventive flea collar, I don't know about getting rid of, since she is a house dog, you don't want them off her and on something else. Call Michelle.

Kate said...

I asked some friends, two recommended Frontline. If you want something that's not chemical try bathing the dog in BLUE Dawn (only the original). Another gal heard to sprinkle yeast on their food and it will kill what they have and prevent others.
Google it, you'll find lots of solutions I'm sure.

Susan said...

Absolutely Kate is correct. Frontline and so what if it's chemical. The next I'll tell you is all chemical. I bomb the heck out of the house...upstairs and down...all the rooms. Set off about4 of them easily for your home. You'll have to leave home with the pup. Then you need to really wash...like you had head lice. Go for the chemicals

Susan said...

oh and fleas don't always bite everyone. in our case, I am always the one who got the bites...but then Frontline came into our lives and i've been bit free.

Katrina said...

All I know is YEARS ago, our dog got fleas and because of that, so did my dad (and you KNOW how pleasantly he handled that!). Besides all the shampoos, etc. for the dog, we also had to have the house exterminated. My dad was the only one who got them and he was covered in bites. He was not a happy camper. Our pets became outdoor pets after that!

Kate said...

Another friends advice:
Garlic, not yeast,only repells fleas, it does not kill them.....blue dawn works ok, but is only temporary. You have to be VERY VERY careful using the dawn, espically with a dog that has an existing skin condition because it can seriously irritate the skin (it strips it of all oils).....even though it is getting cold outside there are still fleas in the house, dogs should be treated year round, not just in the summer, a flea egg hatches after about two weeks and the dog can become reinfested in a matter of days, an adult flea can lay up to 20 eggs per day, they drop off the dog and in 2 weeks hatch and find a host......frontline and bombing the house are the best methods...

Kate said...

And still another:
We used Frontline up until last month. I switched to Comfortis and it works great. If she wants immediate action in killing fleas tell her to use Comfortis, I believe it begins to kill them, unlike Frontline, within the first 10-20 minutes.

Taylor said...

OK, My cat had fleas from last July to September... Nightmare
1. Remove all living things from your house and get a anti-bug spray (google it)
2. Get some K9 or something similar
3. Collars don't work when the dog already has fleas

good luck