Friday, February 8, 2008

I got carded

I was delighted that in the middle of casual shopping, I was carded. What a compliment. Let me explain.... My husband sent me to the wonderful Walmart at 10:30 pm (I love going to the store with out children!!) Our furnace fan was squeeking and needed oiled so we could sleep soundly... Well I thought I would pick up a few things while there. I was just enjoying the music on my Ipod and was listening to it around the store, that was just about to close, so I quickly went to the department, got the lubricant, picked up TP and a loaf of bread for the morning. As I was checking out I continued to listen to my music, thinking I have done this many times and could do it with limited communication. The checker was new with an assistant helping her. She scanned the items: first bread, second WD 40, third TP. As she was scanning the TP she looked at me and asked if I was over 18 yo. I took out one ear phone and said yes with a puzzeled look, thinking she was just teasing. I saw her holding Toliet Paper knowing I did not need to be 18 to purchase TP. The assistant encouraged her to get my ID. I had it, luckly, and questions "For buying toilet paper? Why? I reassured her I was 18, but felt complimented that she would think I wasn't. She informed me the ID was for buying WD 40. I paid her and off I went laughing that someone thought I was under 18.

I started to think how sad it is that this has to happen with house hold products. I must enjoy my innocent little world, not realizing how the world around me is changing. I would never had thought of abusing WD 40, or spray paint or anythings like that for that matter. I, once again, got a small glimps of a world trying to "feel good" with crazy things because they are so empty with purpose and meaning.

1 comment:

Amy Franklin said...

Well, Deb, you don't look a day over 16, so of course you got carded! I can't believe the things these kids come up with these days--remember when it was just glue?